Congrats to all WAMI nominees. We found the winners posted in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinnel. CBx was up for 3 WAMI nominations in 2008...(looks like we've got some work to do!)
Mulvey, Hindsight take home WAMIs
By DAVE TIANEN
Posted: April 29, 2008
Milwaukee singer-songwriter Peter Mulvey was named solo artist/performer of the year, and Appleton's Hindsight was named band of the year at the 28th annual Wisconsin Area Music Industry Awards show held Monday night at Turner Hall Ballroom.
Another Appleton act, Corey Chisel and the Wandering Sons, took the WAMI for best CD for its disc "Little Bird." The WAMI for best song went to local band Fever Marlene for "Red Fire."
Annie Denison won best female vocalist, and Michael Sean was named best male vocalist; both are Milwaukee-based. Cedarburg's House Blend took the award for new group.
In a voting rarity, Green Bay's Fahrenheit 420 and Milwaukee's Bellevue Suite tied for the rock group prize.
Veteran jazz musician and educator Manty Ellis and Waukesha's BoDeans were inducted into the WAMI Hall of Fame.
Four People's Choice Awards for best band/artist were also announced for the four quadrants of the state. The Southeast winner was Oak Creek's Ronnie Nyles, the Southwest winner was Bascom Hill of Madison; the Northeast winner was Spin and the Northwest award went to Reverend Raven and the Chain Smoking Altar Boys.
Other WAMI winners
All are from Milwaukee unless otherwise noted:
- Americana/rockabilly: Liam Ford Band
- Big band: All-Star SUPERband
- Bluegrass: .357 String Band
- Blues: Reverend Raven and the Chain Smoking Altar Boys
- Christian/gospel: Chad James (East Troy)
- Classical group: Present Music
- Contemporary jazz: Chris Crain
- Country: Geoff Landon & the Wolfpack
- Cover band: Johnny Wad (Green Bay)
- Folk/acoustic: The Moon Gypsies (Madison)
- Pop/adult contemporary: Ronnie Nyles (Oak Creek)
- R&B/soul/hip-hop: The Figureheads
- Specialty/nostalgia: Beatallica
- Traditional jazz: Paul Spencer Band
- World beat/reggae/ska: The Invaders
- Bassist: Mike Spellman
- Drummer: Joey Zak
- Guitarist: Alex Wilson
- Keyboard player: Joe Hite
- Reeds/brass: Andrew Spadafora
- Specialty instrumentalist: Tommy Greywolf
- Web site: www.houndstoothblues.com by Hounds Tooth.
- Print media: Shepherd Express
- Producer: Marc Golde (Appleton)
- Radio station: WYMS-FM (88.9)
- Stage production: Eliminator Audio Productions (Dousman)
- Studio: Smart Studios (Madison)
- Venue: Milwaukee Ale House.
What do you think? Go to CBx MESSAGE BOARD or enter comments below.